Your roofing contractor can make or break the repair or replacement of your roofing project. Unfortunately, there are far too many horror stories of people getting leaks or damages right after repairs—or even worse, the job wasn’t finished and money still changed hands. Some people think they can spot a bad deal a mile away, but it isn’t always as easy as you might think.

We want you to know what questions to ask and what to look for when hiring a roofing professional. Use these tips to ensure your home and your wallet will be protected and safe in the hands of a reliable roofing contractor.

1. Send A Proposal or Contract

You should receive a proposal stating exactly what work will be done on your roof and what materials will be used. A detailed item list is a good sign your contractor is a working professional and you can know exactly how much each item costs, including labor. The itemized list isn’t always provided depending on who you’re working with, but you should ask for one for peace of mind.

2. Has Proper Licensing

Your contractor should be licensed by the city you live in or the state. Don’t work with a contractor who isn’t licensed. A good contractor will be able to present a copy of their license when asked. This can cover any liability the roofer could incur and ensures that you don’t have to burden that liability. There are those out there that will do your roof for cheap out of the back of their pickup, but it isn’t as safe as hiring a licensed professional.

3. Stays Local

When some contractors canvas your neighborhood, they may not be from your city. This means they can come from out of town to pick up jobs caused by a recent storm or bad weather. Find a roofing contractor through referrals, a web search of your local area, or even from a job you’ve seen completed near you. This way you can trust who you’re hiring and see the previous work they’ve done.

4. Knows How to Handle Insurance

A good roofing contractor should know how to deal with insurance policies. The homeowner will have to pay the deductible to begin roof repair or replacement. A contractor that says they can start work without a deductible paid could actually be committing fraud. If a contractor says they can also handle your insurance claim, that is illegal in many states. Be mindful of your insurance policy and make sure your contractor is aware of these things as well.

5. Doesn’t Pressure You

This sounds obvious, but if a contractor displays forceful behavior, do not work with them. If a contractor is pressuring you to pay for a certain item or repair, don’t work with them. Your home needs to be inspected by an insurance adjuster and then the contractor. Don’t feel rushed by a contractor telling you to sign before this has happened.

Your home needs a quality roof to protect and insulate you and your family, so your contractor should make quality their number one priority and be transparent with you when working. We hate to see good people taken advantage of by unprofessional roofing practices and people.

Keep this checklist in mind when looking for a roofing specialist. We love to help those who are in need of quality roofing and professional service. If you would like to contact us with questions on contractors or what services we can provide, call us at (918) 994-2874 or fill out the form below.

Ready to get started?

21 Comments

• Ellie Davis says:

It’s interesting to know that a good roofing contractor will send you a proposal about the job that needs to be done. My husband is thinking about replacing the roof at my mother’s house, and we are looking for advice. I will let him know about your recommendations to find the right roofing contractor for the job.

• Kate Hansen says:

It’s good to know that they should have a license in your city. My roof has had a bad leak in it for a couple of weeks now and it’s been causing bad water damage to my attic, and I want to get it fixed as soon as possible. I’ll make sure to keep this information in mind as I search for a quality roofer.

• Fay says:

My husband was reading this article the other night and he told me that he liked how you explained that a good roofing contractor should be able to present documentation of their licenses as soon as they are asked. Personally, I believe this type of criteria should be applied in almost all aspects of life when hiring professional services. We have noticed that our roof is sagging and we are worried about its strength, so we need to hire someone with experience to take care of this.

• Rebecca Gardnere says:

It made sense when you said that choosing a locally-established roofing contractor lets us actually see some of the work they’ve done for previous clients. My husband and I need to hire a roofing contractor to repair the damage to our asphalt shingles from a bad storm last week. Thanks for teaching me what factors we should consider as we start looking for a roofer that’ll be a good fit!

• Wade Joel says:

I loved that you mentioned you need to consider hiring a roofing contractor that has the proper license to help you in your project. My wife and I are thinking about how to keep our roof in good shape, and we are looking for advice about what to do. I will let her know about your recommendations to choose the right roofing contractor to help us.

• Xcel Roofing says:

Thanks to the author for sharing such a great post. The article was very well written and providing knowledge of 5 signs of a good roofing contractor. It can be really great for people like me who are looking for grabbing more knowledge about it. To know more about us, visit https://www.loveourroof.com/

• Thomas Clarence says:

My wife and I are thinking of hiring a roofing contractor so that we can have our roof renovated so that it can last for at least another 10 years. We appreciate the advice about finding a contractor through a job that has been completed near you. These tips you shared will help us find a reliable roofer that can do some good work on our home. http://www.aplus-roofingspecialist.com/

• Greta James says:

Thank you so much for informing me that a good roofer should have the licensing to cover liability for the job. I have a steeply pitched roof, so I am worried about people getting on the roof to fix the leaks that it has. However, I need the job done as soon as possible because it sounds like a bog rainstorm might be coming through in just over a week, and I do not want the rain to damage my home. I will have to look into professional roofing contractors that could help me. https://pyramidroof.com/roofing/

• Roof Coatings says:

Hiring a professional roofer is always critical. Most homeowners make the mistake of hiring any random company they can get without researching enough. Not all roofers out there are to be trusted; however, some companies are very professional. Roofing installation, repair, or replacement requires a lot of skills that are not easily earned so make your decision wisely.

• Roofer Southland says:

Over this article you will get to know about 5 signs of a good roofing contractor. This article is very knowledgeable for everyone. You have really eased my work, loved your writing skill as well.

• New Roofing Auckland says:

To make the process easier, it is advisable to use metal brushes and sugar-soap solutions. Once the surface is absolutely clean, the paint will stay on for years. 3. Insist on UV protection: Before painting the roof of your house, make sure that the paint you use is UV resistant.

• whirlybird vents nz says:

Hi, thank you for such a brilliant post. I have been reading some blogs that gives me more knowledge about this topic 5 signs of a good roofing contractor. I must say this is one of the best among them. You have done a great research for I feel, thanks for sharing.

• Residential roofing says:

All the things on the 5 signs of a good roofing contractors are discussed over here. This blog mentions and acts as such a moving trigger. It is an article worth applauding for based on its content. I am sure many people will come to read this in future.

• Wade Joel says:

My wife and I are thinking about how to prevent roofing problems in our house, and we are looking for advice to choose the right person to help us. It’s interesting to know that a professional roofing contractor will ensure to have the proper license to help you with your problems. I will let her know about your recommendations to choose the right roofing company to help us.

• Megan Alder says:

You made a great point when you said hiring someone that is not pressuring you, speaks great about them. My husband and I have been thinking about hiring a roofing company, and we are looking for advice. I will make sure we don´t feel rushed by a contractor telling us to sign before all you mentioned happened.

• Brian says:

I completely believe that good roofers must render a satisfactory roof repair or other services instead of pressurizing for forceful unnecessary charges separately. Transparency while dealing with customers is a must. Thanks for sharing an informative piece. It is worth reading.

• Industrial ventilation nz says:

Thank you very much for 5 signs of a good roofing contractor, it’s difficult for me to get such kind of information most of the time always… I really hope I can work on your tips and it works for me too, I am happy to come across your article.

• EPDM says:

Hiring a roofing contractor is more beneficial than doing it on your own. Roofing contractors have access to the right supplies, materials, and equipment to carry out the job successfully. In addition, they are able to overcome any issue or challenges that they can detect after carrying out a detailed roof inspection. Therefore, if you want the best services in the industry, you should hire an experienced and licensed roofing contractor.

• Rachel Frampton says:

I’m planning to replace my home’s current roof with a slate roof because I heard that the latter is sturdier, which is why I’ve decided to start looking for a roofer. Well, of course, you’re right that the chosen service must be able to present a copy of their license. It’s also a good thing that you were able to discuss here the importance of checking their insurance policy first.

• film says:

Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog article. Much thanks again. Really Great. Dael Price Nadaba

• film says:

Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our website. Keep up the great writing. Joelly Thorndike Kelila